The Tamil Nadu Medical University Act, 1987 (Act No.37 of 1987) received the assent of the President of India on 24th September, 1987. By an Act No. 39 of 1991, it was amended that the Act may be called "The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987. This affiliating University governed by the said Act started functioning from July 1988. The Students admitted to the various Medical and Paramedical courses after 1.3.1988 come under this Medical University as per Government notification issued in G.O.Ms.No.1628/Health, Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy and Family Welfare Department dated 23.08.1988. The Administrative office of the University was initially functioning in a building at Velachery Road, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 from 12.07.1988. From May 1989 the administrative office of the University was functioning at a seven storeyed building owned by Periyar Trust at 52, E.V.K. Sampath Salai, Vepery, Chennai- 600 007. The University has constructed its administrative complex in the land at Nawab Garden, Guindy allotted by the Government of Tamil Nadu as per G.O. Ms. No. 1165, Health and Family Welfare Department dt. 21.10.1992. The University is now functioning in its own building at Nawab Garden, 69, Anna Salai, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 with effect from 12.6.1994.
- Anaesthesiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Bio-Statistics, Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Clinical Haematology, Community Medicine, Diabetology / Diabetic Nephropathy, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology / Gastrointestinal Sciences / Medical Gastroenterology / Surgical Gastroenterology, General Medicine, General Surgery, Genetics, Haematology, Liver Diseases, Medical Physics, Microbiology, Nephrology, Neurology / Neuro Psychiatry & Clinical Neuro Sciences, Nursing, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Oncology / Molecular Oncology / Medical Oncology / Surgical Oncology/ Radiation Oncology, Ophthalmology, Oral & Maxillo Facial Surgery, Oral Pathology & Mirobiology, Oral Medicine & Radiology, Orthopaedics, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Paediatrics / Paediatric Nephrology/Padediatric Endocrinology, Pathology, Periodontics, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Physiology, Physiotherapy, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Prosthodontics, Public Health Dentistry, Psychiatry, Radiology / Radiation Oncology / Radiology Physics / Nuclear Medicine, Sexually Transmitted Diseases[, Siddha-Maruthuvam
- A recognized qualifying Higher Specialty Degree, Post Graduate Degree / Diploma is essential with a minimum of 50% of marks in the qualifying examination or a second class or equivalent in the qualifying Post Graduate degree / Diploma. The qualifying degree has to be registered with the respective Council/Recognised University is eligible.
- The non-medical faculties who wish to register for a Ph.D Degree should have obtained a minimum of 55% as aggregate in their Post Graduate Degree.
A Candidate shall register himself / herself in this University by submitting the duly filled application along with other details for provisional registration by remitting the prescribed fees for the same. The application form may also be down loaded from the University web site www.tnmgrmu.ac.in The cost of the application form is the amount prescribed by this University from time to time as applicable. If the application form is downloaded from the website, the cost of application form as prescribed, has to be paid at the time of submission for the provisional registration. Candidate should submit the following documents:
- Attested Xerox copy of the Postgraduate Educational qualification certificate.
- Attested Xerox copy of the State Council Registration Certificate
- Attested Xerox copy of the Migration Certificate from the University in which the candidate has completed his/her Post Graduate qualification
- ORIGINAL No objection certificate from the Head of the Institution presently working in.
- ORIGINAL Permission letter from the Head of the Institution & Department to utilize the Department for Research purpose.
Note- The amount once remitted by the candidate to the University will not be refunded at any cost.
- Admission to the doctoral courses at TNMU will be done on the basis of scores obtained in the TNMU-GET and based on performance in a personal interview. The shortlisted applications after scrutiny will be further processed for Ph.D admission/registration by the Ph.D Admission Committee chaired by Dean of the Faculty.