About Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology)
Geology is the study of the earth in which students study the earth's materials, how they are composed, and the processes that affect them over time. Students who are engaged in geological research are called geologists. Students enrolled in the course are taught to Work in deserts, ocean floors, mountains, etc. and Identifying rock, minerals, and fossils, Measure Earth’s gravity and magnetic field, Research for natural gas and minerals. The Doctor of Philosophy or Doctorate (Geology) is a 3-5year doctoral program that prepares students for various geoscience careers. Geology includes the study of mineralogy, paleontology, structural geology, and geomorphology.
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Highlights
|Course Level ||Doctorate|
|Course Name||Doctor of Philosophy In Geology|
|Duration ||At least 3 years and can be extended to 5 years (depending on the duration of the research)|
|Examination Type ||Semester system/ Yearly|
Master’s degree in Geology from a recognized university/college
|Admission Process ||Merit-Based/ Entrance Test|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Geological Survey of India, Central Ground Water Board, Oil, and Natural Gas Commission, Hindustan Zinc Limited, Minerals and Metals Trading Corporation, Coal India, Mineral Exploration Ltd., Indian Bureau of Mines, Indian Space Research Organization, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.|
|Top Recruiting Areas|
Research & Educational Institutes, Mining, Oil and Gas, Minerals and Water Resources, Mineralogy, Volcanology, Hydrology or Oceanography.
|Job Positions ||Volcanologists, Petroleum Geologists, Environmental Geologists, Earth Science Teachers, Glacial Geologists, Structural Geologists, Hydrogeologists, Engineering Geologists, Palaeontologists.|
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Eligibility Criteria
- A post-graduate degree in a related field from any recognized university, such as geology / applied geology/earth science / marine geology.
- A minimum score of 55% in the general category of a master's degree
- A minimum score of 50% in a candidate in the SC / ST / OBC category
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Admission Procedure
- Admission to this course is strictly based on the marks obtained by master's students. However, different universities or colleges have different admission rules.
- Some universities conduct entrance exams and then conduct a round of personal interviews to admit students to specific courses.
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Top Entrance Exams
- UGC Net Exam
- CSIR-UGC NET exam
- JNU Ph.D. Entrance
- NIPER Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- GTU Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- NBRC Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- BITS Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- TISS RAT
- DU Ph.D. Entrance Exam
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Top Colleges/Universities
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Central University of Karnataka, Gulbarga
- Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
- JIS University, Kolkata
- Karnatak University, Karnataka
- M.G. Science Institute, Ahmedabad
- Maharaja Ganga Singh University, Bikaner
- MES Ponnani College, Kerala
- Mizoram University, Mizoram
- Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur
- National College Trichy, Tamil Nadu
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Panjab University, Chandigarh
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Syllabus
|Course title ||Topics Covered |
|Review of Literature||Needs and systematic literature reviews to understand the needs and processes of regional and local geology, geomorphology, stratigraphy, tectonics and structural environments, mineral deposits, and hydrogeology.|
|Geological Surveying||The nature and scope of geological studies are important Field equipment, topographic maps, geological mapping methods, base maps, geological and structural data collection. |
The application of remote sensing technology in the geological investigation.
|tSampling||The purpose and the type of trampling samples, sampling techniques, sampling patterns, sample preparation for future research.|
|Microscopy||Preparation and study of thin sheets and polished sheets, types of microscopes, and their applications in geology. |
Geochemical techniques and instruments for the analysis of rock, soil, and water samples.
|Geo-Scientific Writing||Pre-writing stage: scientific papers, technical reports, illustrations (maps, line graphs, charts, photos) Writing stage: the quality of scientific articles, writing aids, and writing practice. The later stage of writing: oral and poster display, preparation and use of various oral aids, poster display.|
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Required Skillset
- Quantitative Analysis Skills
- Research Skills
- Analytical Skills
- The Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Interpersonal Skills
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Career Options
- Geologists can start working in industries related to mining, oil and gas, minerals, and water resources. Students can also serve as professors in colleges and universities. Students can work in other fields such as mineralogy, volcanology, hydrology, or oceanography.
Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology) Jobs
- Petroleum Geologist- The job of a petroleum geologist is to find the location and amount of useful fuels (such as oil and natural gas) in sediments or reservoirs.
- Environmental geologists- study the physical characteristics and composition of the earth and its natural resources.
- Earth Science Teachers -Earth science teachers teach physical science courses, with the exception of physics and chemistry.
- Hydrogeologists- Hydrogeologists Help studies the location, movement, and quality of water layers below the surface.
Placements For Graduate Doctor of Philosophy Geology (Ph.D. Geology)
- Geological Survey of India
- Central Ground Water Board
- Oil and Natural Gas Commission
- Hindustan Zinc Limited
- Minerals and Metals Trading Corporation
- Coal India
- Mineral Exploration Ltd.
- Indian Bureau of Mines
- Indian Space Research Organization
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited