MCA is a three-year master degree course in computer applications. It focuses on providing a theoretical as well as practical training to students in the computer applications field. MCA course is designed to meet up with the demand for qualified professionals in the IT field. The full form of MCA is Master of Computer Applications. MCA is available in more than 1000 colleges in India. MCA graduates are same as software engineers.
Minimum Educational Qualification Required for MCA Admission In India
- Graduation in any stream is the basic eligibility for MCA.
- Most of the institutes require 45 to 50 % aggregate in qualifying exam for taking admission in MCA program.
- Apart from this, there is another prerequisite for taking admission in this program, the candidate must have studied Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject.
- Reserved categories also get some relaxation in aggregate percentage.
MCA Course Duration
The duration of MCA (Master of Computer Applications) course is three academic years.
- Application Software
- Hardware Technology
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Software Development
- Systems Development
- Systems Engineering
MCA Admission Process
Students will have to take part in an entrance test to join an MCA course in any Indian or Foreign University or Institute. Some universities also go through a group discussion and interview process for the candidates who qualified in the entrance test. Generally, the entrance examination for MCA admission is based on Mathematics and reasoning.
MCA Entrance Examinations List
- NIMCET 2018 (National Institute of Technology Common Entrance Test)
- MH-CET 2018 (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- VITMEE 2018 (Vellore Institute of Technology MCA Entrance Exam)
- AIMCET (All India MCA Common Entrance Test)
- BIT MCA 2018 Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Mesra
- IPU CET 2018 MCA (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- TS ICET 2018 (Telangana State Integrated Common Entrance Test)
- AP ICET 2018 (Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test)
- OJEE 2018 (Odisha Joint Entrance Exam)
Job and Career options for MCA
Students who have successfully completed MCA have plenty of jobs available with Software and IT companies in India as well as abroad. They can also go for higher studies. They can easily join M.Tech in Computer Science or M.Tech in Information Technology if they qualify in the GATE exam. Another option is to do a Ph.D. in Computer Science. After MCA, job opportunities exist in Government as well as Private sector. Starting salary is generally around 20-30k Rupees per month. Aspirants may take up the following posts in the above-mentioned sectors-
- Software Engineer
- Software Tester
- Database Management professional
- Project Manager
- Information Security professional
- Information Management professional
- System Administrator
- Lecturer (Government or Private Colleges)