GNM is a popular diploma course in paramedics. The full form of GNM is Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery. GNM course can be pursued after successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in the Science stream from a recognized educational Board, with a minimum aggregate score of 40%. It is a 3Â½ years long Diploma program. Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery - GNM course may also be availed of on part-time basis in certain institutes of the country.
Eligibility for GNM Admission In India
- 10+2 Passed preferably science (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) & English with minimum 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade.
- 10+2 in Arts (Mathematics, Biotechnology, Economics, Political Science, History, Geography, Business Studies, Accountancy, Home Science, Sociology, Psychology, and Philosophy) and English Core / English Elective or Healthcare Science â€“ Vocational stream only, passing out from recognized Board under AISSCE / CBSE / ICSE / SSCE / HSCE or other equivalent Board with 55% marks.
GNM Admission Process
Admission to the GNM course is done on the basis of their performance in a relevant entrance test. Few private institutes and colleges also provide direct admission based on the candidateâ€™s performance at the 10+2 level.
GNM Entrance Exam List
- AIIMS Nursing Entrance Exam
- BHU Nursing Entrance Exam
- JIPMER Nursing Entrance Exam
- PGIMER Nursing
- KIMS University Nursing Entrance
- MCD Nursing Admission
- MGM CET Nursing
- RUHS Nursing Entrance Exam
- Uttarakhand Nursing Admission
GNM Syllabus and Course Description
GNM Ist Year Syllabus
Biological Sciences, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Sociology, Fundamentals of Nursing, First Aid, Personal Hygiene, Community Health Nursing- I, Community Health Nursing, Environmental Hygiene, Health Education and Communication Skills, Nutrition, and English.
GNM 2nd Year Syllabus
Medical-Surgical Nursing I, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Pharmacology, Medical-Surgical Nursing II (Specialties), Communicable Diseases, Orthopedic Nursing, Ear, Nose and Throat, Oncology/Skin, Ophthalmic Nursing, Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing, Community Health Nursing, and Computer Education.
GNM 3rd Year Syllabus
Midwifery and Gynecological Nursing, Community Health Nursing - II, Pediatric Nursing, Internship Period, Educational Methods and Media for Teaching in Practice of Nursing, Introduction to Research, Professional Trends and Adjustment, Administration and Ward Management, and Health Economics.
GNM Career Prospects & Job Scope
After successfully completing GNM course you will become a â€œNurseâ€. There are wide employment opportunities for GNM Degree holders. After the successful completion of the GNM course, there are various higher study options as well as career scope for the student. Aspirants can get jobs easily in both government and private sectors. Mostly they work in areas like government and private hospitals, nursing homes, old age homes, orphanages, various industries, sanatoriums and armed forces. They can also work at education Institutions, nursing tutor, ICU nurse & Infection control nurse.
- Nursing Tutor
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Senior â€“ Nurse Educator
- Home Care Nurse
- ICU Nurse
- Staff Nurse
- Teacher â€“ Nursing School
Salary & PayScale
The average salary for a fresher nurse is around Rs.2.5 to 3.5 lacs annually. The highly experienced nurse can earn between Rs.7.5 to 8.5 lacs annually. â€œA good experience will help you to earn a very handsome salary package.â€