About Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
Doctorate in Media Studies is a doctoral-level course offered by various colleges and universities throughout India. It takes approximately 3-5 years to complete the entire course, including the thesis, which is part of every Ph.D. Program. The focus of this course is to have a critical understanding of the field of mass media and how it affects society, people's culture, politics, and therefore the economy of a country. Through this academic and research program, individuals can gain insight into the role of the media in shaping today's world society and culture, whether on television, film, print, or digital media. Course assignments must be completed within one year of starting the program. Course assignments include topics related to the research field and research methods that will be applied to the development of research activities. According to the topics and research plans put forward by students at the beginning of the semester, students must carry out original research work on them. A research guide or supervisor is assigned to support the student’s project. During the research work, students are expected to publish some research papers on the subject. At the end of the research, students must submit a paper on the research work performed to the team of external reviewers. Successful defense based on the thesis, Ph.D. It was finally awarded.
Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies) Highlights
|Course Name ||Doctorate of Philosophy in Media Studies|
|Duration ||At least 3 years and can be extended to 5 years (depending on the duration of the research)|
|Examination type ||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate in the field of media and communication |
|Admission Process||Entrance based|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Zee TV, AajTak, TV9, GeeksChip, 3DM Agency, FMIM, All India Radio, Malayala Manorama Group, Asianet, BloombergQuint, Daijiworld Media, India Today, Living Media, Creative Eye Ltd.|
Marketing Director, Marketing Assistant, Social Media Analyst, Social Media Manager, Social Media Marketing Executive, News Anchor, Reporter, Media Researcher, Media Planner, Media Manager, Copywriter, Blogger.
Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies) Eligibility Criteria
- Obtain a master's degree in media-related topics from a UGC-accredited college or university.
- At least 55% of postgraduate grades.
- Candidates who have completed postgraduate studies at international universities are also eligible. Such candidates will need to show an equivalent certificate obtained from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Candidates who have studied M.Phil in Media Studies can also apply.
Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies) Admission Procedure
- Media studies for Ph.D. admission to Indian universities are based mainly on entrance exams. Enrollment for this program is conducted twice a year, in January and May.
- However, before applying for the exam, candidates must ensure that they meet the admission criteria.
- Colleges and universities conduct their own entrance examinations for doctoral students. The Doctor of Media Studies is also based on qualification exams such as UGCNET, CSIRUGC NET, SET, and GATE.
- After passing the entrance exam, the university reviews the candidates' research topics and proposals and conducts a personal interview.
Top Entrance Exams For Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- CSIR-UGC NET
Top Colleges/Universities For Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Jaipur National University, Jaipur
- BBAU Lucknow - Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University
- Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Chandigarh University (CU), Chandigarh
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
- Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University of Journalism and Communication, Bhopal
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai
Syllabus Of Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- Theories and Concepts in Media and Communication Studies
- Advanced Methods of Research in Media Studies
- Digital Media and Everyday Life
- Media in Contemporary Society
- Media and popular culture
- Internet and social media
- Media and the Development Discourse
- Media, law, and regulation
- Gender and Media Representation
- Writing Research
- Media Seminar
- Publication of Research Paper
Benefits of Doctor of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- This course is of great benefit to those who wish to expand their knowledge in the field of media and communication.
- Taking this course will help you take a leadership role in the workplace.
- This course greatly improves your research skills. You can engage in research-based work in this field and you must develop strategies to keep your organization ahead of its work competitors.
- Those who are interested in a career in teaching will find this to be a very useful course. You can act as a lecturer and teacher in colleges and universities in India and abroad.
- The social media industry is one of the fastest-growing industries. Therefore, there are many job opportunities in the field of media in general, especially in the field of social media.
- Interesting course courses are closely related to everyday life, and students will find this course worth studying.
Career Options After Doctorate of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- One can engage in teaching and teaching in colleges and universities.
- The television industry, printing industry, electronic media, and social networking industries provide countless opportunities for the prosperity of this field.
- You can also engage in research work by joining various private and government-organized research laboratories.
- You can also choose to obtain a Doctor of Science (D.Sc) in a related field.
Jobs after Doctorate of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
|Job Profile||Job Description|
|Public Relations Manager||A public relations manager specializes in establishing a positive public image for an organization or business. To shape public opinion, they create various media messages and post them on different platforms, including social media.|
The job of a copywriter is to write promotional content for a large number of articles, such as articles, courses, and announcements. They write original content for clients and help with other aspects of creative writing. To become a successful copywriter, you must have excellent research and writing skills.
|Social Media Manager||Social media managers primarily increase brand awareness by creating high-quality content to post on various social media platforms. They are committed to improving the image of the brand on social media. They also respond to comments and feedback on various platforms. |
|Media Manager||The responsibility of the media manager is to research and write content for various media platforms. They review and edit content, and manage media activities. They also develop content for social media platforms. They possess organizational skills, communication skills, and personnel management skills. |
|Marketing Director||As one of the most important positions in media management, the Marketing Director provides guidance and leadership for your marketing team. |
Placements for Doctorate of Philosophy in Media Studies (Ph.D. Media Studies)
- Zee TV
- 3DM Agency
- All India Radio
- Malayala Manorama Group
- Daijiworld Media
- India Today
- Living Media
- Creative Eye Ltd.