B.Sc. Agriculture is an undergraduate degree awarded by Indian Universities for 10+2 students preferably with Science stream. The full form of the B.Sc. Agriculture is Bachelor of Science In Agriculture. It involves the study of agriculture sciences and use of modern scientific equipment and techniques in agriculture, land surveying, soil science, water resource management, animal, and poultry management, basics of biotechnology etc. Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, usually abbreviated as either B.Sc.(Agr.) or B.S.A. or B.Sc.(Ag.) or B.Sc. (Hons.) Ag. Unlike regular B.Sc. courses, this programme is of four-year duration. This is because the course is considered as a professional degree programme per the Government of India.
Minimum Educational Qualification Required for B.Sc. Agriculture Admission
Interested aspirants for the course are required to fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility criteria.
- 10+2 Science stream students with Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects.
- Apart from this, candidates possessing Intermediate in Agriculture stream (limited states) are also eligible to apply. Depending on the university, the eligibility varies in terms of a combination of subjects. Eligibility criteria also vary for reserved categories as per the reservation guidelines of GOI.
B.Sc. Agriculture Course Duration
It is a 4-year undergraduate bachelors degree program, which generally includes agriculture science, use of modern scientific equipment and techniques in agriculture, land surveying, soil science, water resource management, animal, and poultry management, basics of biotechnology etc.
Subjects or Topics studied In B.Sc. Agriculture
- Plant Genetics
- Soil Science
- Agricultural Economics
- Agriculture Engineering
- Agricultural Meteorology
- Plant Pathology
- Agricultural Extension
B.Sc. Agriculture Admission Procedure
Admission in universities or colleges offering B.Sc. in Agriculture course is done basically in two modes. It is done either based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination (Direct Admission) or written exam conducted by the university/institution that offers the degree. The details on how to apply for B.Sc. in Agriculture Admission can be collected from the authorized website of the university or college along with the information on course details and an available number of seats. The application forms can be obtained either through the college admission office or from the concerned website of the institution.
B.Sc. Agriculture Entrance Exam
- ICAR Entrance Exam
- EAMCET- Conducted for admissions in Agriculture colleges and universities in Andhra Pradesh
- PAU Entrance Exam- Conducted by Punjab Agricultural University
- KEAM- Conducted for agricultural colleges in Kerala
- IGKV CET- Conducted by Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
B.Sc. Agriculture Career Opportunities
B.Sc. Agriculture is considered a professional degree. The importance of agriculture is growing rapidly and thereby is increasing the job prospects in the field of agriculture. Today Graduates with B.Sc. Agriculture is readily accepted in the government projects.
Following are some government sectors which have job opportunities for B.Sc. Agriculture graduates:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- National Seeds Corporation Limited
- State Farms Corporation of India
- Food Corporation of India
- National Dairy Development Board
- NABARD and other banks
- Agricultural finance corporations
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
- North Eastern Region Agricultural Marketing Corporation
Following are the private sectors which offer jobs to agriculture graduates:
- Agriculture Marketing
- The financial sector with a focus on agriculture
- Micro-finance institutions
- Fertilizer companies
- Agri-biotech organizations
Salary Package for B.Sc. Agriculture Graduates
The average salary offered to a B.Sc. Agriculture graduates depend on area or industry he is working for. Basic salary after completion of course offered to these graduates ranges from 15K to 20K per month depending on various factors like profile, industry etc. Some of the best agro-based products’ companies that offer jobs to B.Sc. Agriculture graduates have been mentioned below.
- DuPont India
- Rallies India Limited
- Advanta Limited
- National Agro Industries
- Raasi Seeds
- ABT Industries
- Phalada Agro Research Foundation Limited.